Friday, July 3, 2015

Real Freedom

Tomorrow is 4th of July, otherwise known as independence day.  I've always enjoyed this time of year because summer time meant picnics and family gatherings.  The 4th, however, was never a big holiday for my family...until recently.

Now that my daughters are engaged to be married, the family traditions change.  The family traditions of their fiancees affect our lifestyle and schedule as well.  Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, and Father's Day all become times when they juggle time with each family, enjoying both traditions.

One of the young men loves 4th of July, though.  He especially loves setting off fireworks. (Yes, I know.  I should be afraid.)  Last year he asked if we could start a "new tradition" and have a fireworks show in our back yard.  We said, "Sure."  He bought all the fireworks.  I grilled out.  His family came over.  We had a great time and, I think in answer to my prayers, he didn't burn anything down. ;-)

I share this story because this would never have been a family event or tradition that I would have planned or even considered doing.  Encouraging and supporting him, however, turned out in a great family time together for us all.  (By the way, this was the only time I've met his family.  They are coming back this year, too!)

Paul wrote to the church in Galacia, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery" (Galatians 5:1 NIV).  When Paul was writing, he was talking about the burden imposed by the Old Testament law and circumcision.  When the writers of the Declaration of Independence penned their words, they were talking about things like taxation without representation.  In our homes, it means allowing the people in our household to be who they are, as long as it is without sin.  In other words, we draw the line where God draws the line and, when we really think about it, that gives a large-measure of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment