Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Called


In May the call came again from New Creation Men’s Shelter asking Pete if our church would be willing to host 15 to 20 homeless men every Thursday night. Prayerfully responding to the request that had been made a couple of times in the past, Pete accepted on behalf of LBCC.
Moving forward God filled the needs to do this each week with 3 men stepping forward every Thursday to spend the overnight hours at the church building to ensure the safety of the men and property and to be available to minister to those that needed prayer or just someone to listen. Friday mornings saw breakfast provided for the men and the 
volunteers - different people on different weeks gave a variety of healthy meals.
 Bedding was laundered and returned for the following week, a humble happening so
 that there were clean sheets for them to sleep on.
Last week our turn to serve came to a close and the men were housed at 7 different churches for the winter season. Many people from many different walks of life came together for the summer season to take care of their brothers. God brought these folks together weekly to serve and to be served, a humble task he has called all of us to do.

Matthew 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[f]you were doing it to me!’



No comments:

Post a Comment