Friday, April 12, 2013

10,000 Foot View


Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go up this mountain in the Abarim Range and see the land I have given the Israelites. (Numbers 27:12 NIV)

Much of Moses' day would be spent listening to individual cases, giving individual direction, and working through the details of teaching people to walk together with God.  Every once in awhile, though, the LORD would take Moses up on a mountain to talk with him or to do something like showing him the promised land.  Moses got to spend some time alone with God at 10,000 feet above sea level to look at the "big picture."

Most of ministry is done in a day-to-day, moment-by-moment way.  To be sure, there are schedules and plans and calendars just like any other calling, but, just like any other calling, life is filled with "surprises" and "interruptions."  I put those words in quotes because God is never surprised and Godcidences are never interruptions.  Every so often, though, I get the opportunity to "back up" and see more of the big picture.  This was one of those weeks.
My normal schedule each day includes time in God's Word, writing a Blog based on His Word, praying for people, and caring for their needs - Read, Share, Pray, Care.  Recently there have been some significant (for me) changes in this basic daily routine.

Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, told Moses that it wasn't good for him to try to care for everyone personally.  Instead, he suggested that Moses train people to care for groups of people to the extent that they are able.  Empowered leadership has always been a part of the vision at Life Bridge.  Now, God is providing more tools to make that process more consistent and efficient.  I've started using one of those tools this week.

Praying for people has always been a key part of ministering to them.  When we go to God in prayer, we invite Him to act.  Every week, a group of people pray for all the Connect Card requests.  Now, I have more reminders to pray for people (and let them know I'm praying) throughout the week.

I've always been afraid to write.  It may sound strange, but verbal and written communications have never been my strength growing up.  Blogging affords me the opportunity to write a little bit each day, overcome my fears, and focus on God in a different way.  With this post, I've now written over 365 entries - a full year of writing.  Something about this milestone is bringing me another measure of joy.

Reading God's Word has also been a worthwhile battle.  I never used to spend every day in His Word, but in recent years I've made the commitment simply because I realized that I needed it.  Each day I read, I found the day would go better.  When I didn't read, the day did not go as well.  So, I committed to reading each day.  Yesterday, I completed a 1 Year Bible Reading plan.  It felt good to remain faithful to the task.

Each of these changes gave me an opportunity to step back and look at what God has done.  I see the changes in my own life, my marriage, and my children.  I see the consistency in Life Bridge that came at the same time this consistency grew in me.  I even see people feeling empowered and living out that empowerment more and more.  It's a great feeling to go up on the mountain once in awhile and look around. God is at work everywhere I look.

What's next?  Well, I've selected another reading plan.  I'm writing more than a Blog now.  I'm praying for, purposefully connecting with, and empowering more people than ever.  I'm also just enjoying the view - looking where He tells me to look and seeing the promised land for His faithful followers.  It's a beautiful thing to see from a 10,000 foot view.  Over time, I hope to help you see it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment