Friday, September 11, 2015

Wisdom Glasses

My recent birthday, and all the encouraging well-wishes, just served to remind me that I am another year older.  It was during this past year that I gave in to the changes in my eyesight and finally got reading glasses, which I've dubbed as "wisdom glasses." To top it all off, as I was getting ready for my day this morning, I noticed how pronounced the grey has become in the hairs on my temple.  (I'm going to say it makes me look "distinguished.")


This week I'm reading quite a bit in preparation for my class next week.  I still have a few years left of school in pursuit of my Doctor of Ministry degree and this next milestone is a class on Evangelism.  I love this class and the topic.  I know of no more important way to spend my time than to empower one more to walk together with God.  My hope and prayer is that the class will help me, and by extension all of us, become more effective in living out Christ's Mission for our lives.

You see, I don't use terms like "wisdom glasses" and "distinguished" just to help me feel better about the fact that I'm getting older.  (Well, maybe a little.)  I use them to to remind me what it is that God wants me to become with age.  With age should come wisdom.

I thought, 'Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom.' But it is the spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding. It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right. (Job 32:7-9 NIV)

Wisdom is not automatic with age.  I've met plenty of older people who do not know or exercise wisdom.  So, I read Scripture...and I pray...and I go to school.  I do all of these so I will grow in wisdom as I grow older in years.  I pray for you, too.

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. (Colossians 1:9-12 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment