Friday, September 2, 2016

7am Hebrew

I started school this week.  Well, technically I started school a couple months ago.  My DMin class, which meets for a week in September, had pre-work that began back in July.  I’m taking another class, though, this semester to help fill in a gap in my education: Hebrew.


When I first went to seminary, my specific degree program required that I become proficient in one of the two primary Biblical languages: Hebrew (Old Testament) or Greek (New Testament).  Since I wanted to learn the New Testament as well as I could, I took Greek all the way through an advanced translation class.  I learned tools to help me with Hebrew, but the actual language study would have to wait…until now.

My Hebrew class challenging in several ways.  First of all, well, it’s Hebrew.  I’m learning a new alphabet, how to read right to left, vowel markers that weren’t there in the original language and a script that actually wasn’t the original script.  I’m learning how to pronounce the Hebrew words from a professor who is proficient in eleven or more languages and who originally grew up in Bogotá, Columbia. I find myself wanting coffee just listening to his rich Columbian voice.  Oh, yeah, it’s also challenging because the class meets at 8am and is located in Anderson, Indiana.  So, I conference in four days a week via computer…at 7am here.  (Yeah, I want coffee for more than one reason.)

All that being said, I find myself strangely at peace.  I know that I am learning and growing in knowledge and, hopefully, wisdom as I continue to be challenged by others who are further down the path in their walk together with God.  I’m enjoying the company of people who desire to learn and grow like me.  But, more than all that, I know I am preparing to better serve those God has called me to serve.  I know I am in the right place in my walk together with God.  I’m praying that you are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment