Friday, January 18, 2013

Enemy Sightings?


"But a time is coming, and has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:32-33 NIV84)

Every week I have the privileged of praying for the people of Life Bridge here in Valparaiso, IN.  Sometimes  people share requests with me face to face, through email, text, or other electronic media.  Usually, I stop right then and begin to pray for them.  Most of the requests, however, come in through "Connect Cards" that we have available to everyone during the church services.  It's a chance to connect with one another and with God.  I begin praying for those requests each Sunday afternoon.

Over the years, I've struggled with the weight of these requests.  People go through a lot.  Financial pressures, strained and broken relationships, medical issues, and death seem to top the list.  People are struggling and hurting all around.  I take the requests, and the weight of the burden, and turn them over to God who is able to do immeasurable more than we ask or imagine.  Then I experience peace.

Sometimes people will report a "praise" as well.  Usually that means that a request turned out the way we had hoped.  I certainly praise God for his work in those instances as well.  But it leaves me asking myself a question: Do I praise God even in the midst of difficulties?  Do I trust him in all circumstances?  When things go wrong, do I have God sightings or am I only seeing the enemy?

Passages like the one above started coming to mind.  Jesus warned his disciples that they would be scattered...that they would face trouble.  Then he told them that he has overcome the world - that they can, and should, have peace even in the midst of trouble.  They can trust in Him.  We can trust in Him, too.

They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. (1 John 4:5 NIV)

You see, there's always going to be a "them" in this world.  There will be news reports, coworkers, family members, and even friends who tell us the things we need to get angry about, worry about, and/or fear.  They will tell us these things are important and that we don't care unless we feel and express these feelings.

Jesus told us, however,  that's just not the case.  He taught his disciples what they need to experience peace in all circumstances.  He showed us that those other things are not God sightings, but enemy sightings...we can and should focus our eyes on God.  Then we will have God sightings.  Then we will have peace.

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4 NIV)



No comments:

Post a Comment