Friday, January 18, 2013

Pamper Night 2013


They say that God can use what has happened to us in the past to help others in the future.  Who are THEY?  I didn't believe it for a long time.  I couldn't figure out how growing up in an abusive home could possible help someone else.  Watching my mom get beaten up was bad enough but then being abused myself for 10 years was worse.  How could my poor self esteem as an adult benefit someone else?
It doesn't...  but God does.

Feeling pretty & loving our selves as God loves us
I was led in a direction of healing for myself and many others through what Life Bridge calls, Pamper Night.  About 5 years ago we decided to reach out to serve women at the local battered women's shelter.  We provide a full make over for FREE for each of the ladies in one evening.  This includes hair cut & style, manicure, pedicure, massage & facial. We provide Limousin transportation, childcare, food, beverages and gifts.  Throughout the evening there is live entertainment from local talented musicians as well.  This is done by the generous time, donation of supplies and talent from our community all with Gods help and leading.

The evening is a time of healing for the ladies we serve but also the volunteers.  I was personally able to see that others had some of the same experiences I did.  To know that I could love on someone who doesn't always feel love was a gift to them and myself.  I could finally use my life journey to relate and provide some healing and dignity to moms and their kids.  If only for ONE night, ONE moment, ONE kind act or ONE smile I could make a difference in the heart of a hurt soul.

The volunteers have shared stories with me of the effect the evening had on them as well.  Men are welcome because the women need to know that there are good men in the word who they can trust as well as the kids.  One male volunteer grew up with an addicted father and single mother.  He felt he needed to help.  I sometimes find volunteers with tears from being moved by a particular guest.  The stories go on and on but the best things is to see the transformations.  We treat them like queens not charity cases.  The ladies walk in the door shy, reserved and heads low.  They leave laughing, smiling and sharing their new beauty & improved self esteem.  It's an experience you wont forget. (to get involved - read more below)

Please keep in mind that this is a very sensitive situation.  The security of the families depends on us.  Do not share detailed information of the event with anyone other than approved volunteers. We will have tight security during the event by local law enforcement.

If you would like to be a part of this incredible blessing, please contact me.  We will have our first planning meeting to see if we can pull this off on Saturday, January 19 - 12noon, at Life Bridge Christian Church (1705 LaPorte Ave, Valparaiso)  We are looking at a tentative date in early March, location is to be determined.  Team leaders are needed for decoration, child care, set-up/clean-up, organizing and acquiring professionals, entertainment and more.  

Thank you
Jeni Bolton - Coordinator
jenibolton@imaginelifedifferently.com
219-531-7777 x15

No comments:

Post a Comment