Friday, May 3, 2013

Seeing God in Wrong Numbers and Emails! Whoda Thunk?

This collection of posts is about sharing God sightings and helping others see God at work in us and through us.

These are relatively silly sightings, but they served as a great encouragement to me.  They remain in my mind and prayer as I continue looking for God to do it again.


God Sighting #1

The first happened almost 2 weeks ago now.  I regularly text students and their parents to remind them of student activities.  Well apparently, one of the parents has changed cell phone numbers and my text ended up going to a student somewhere in Laporte County.

The text communicated that we were going to be going to Ignite at Camp LRCA where we would be hearing from rapper "Marz" Brown.  This student texted me (and eventually called) to ask for more information.  As we talked (after I figured out I wasn't speaking with and texting the parent whose name was on the caller ID) I realized I needed to consider some things so I told this student that I would call him back.

I really felt God's hand in this situation.  He needed a ride, and while I commit to doing my best to give any kid a ride who needs it, this would have been 4 hours of drive time between Laporte and Lake counties that evening.  So I continued to ask God what He wanted me to do... I remembered that I have recently had a student move to Michigan City and I connected him with a church in that area that usually goes to Ignite as well.  So I called him and got him connected with this student.  Turned out they lived about 10-15 minutes apart.

The student didn't make it to Ignite that night.  But my former student has remained in contact and has continued to invite him to church.  The invite has been well received .. what will God do in both these young men's lives?  I continue to pray for them both and the ministry of Michigan City Christian Church.


God Sighting #2


The second one I want to share was actually Pete's.  We often email, facebook, or text people to let them know that we are praying for them.  Pete email one our member to let her know that he was praying for her.  He got a response that said thanks, but how did you know to pray for me?  He replied that he was simply praying through his flock and her name came up.

It turned out that it was an old email address for our member, and the email had been picked by someone with a similar name in Ohio, which they eventually figured out.

The woman had thanked him for the prayers and said that God knows what her needs were.

Later that evening she emailed back saying that she had just gotten back from a meeting at her church, where they were making plan to visit door to door throughout the summer in their community.  She shared what a step out in faith this is not only for her but for their church body.  She thanked Pete for his prayers and how God had worked and asked if she could pray for him.


Summary

God is at work in ways that we can not even imagine!  

To have a cell number of one our parents end up with a student a county away interested in connecting more with God... oh yeah, where one of my students had just moved to!  WOW!!

And then to have an old email address connect with a woman a state away who is a sister in Christ in need of encouragement as her and her church step out in faith!  DOUBLE WOW!!

We are pawns in a bigger game... a spiritual one.  I love that God will use something like wrong numbers and emails to be an encouragement to others for His Kingdom!  Go God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment