Friday, March 25, 2016

Reasons To Be Sad

Yesterday, I noticed that our weather forecast was calling for 50% chance of snow.  Last night, Traci called to me from the kitchen, “You know that 50% chance?  It’s here.”  I had joked with people about dreaming of a white Easter.  It’s not outside the realm of possibility, is it?  I like snow, so that normally doesn’t bring me down – especially considering the mild winter we’ve been having.  I do find myself feeling a bit of an oppression today, though.  I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because I saw snow flurries again this morning as I let the dog out.

Perhaps the sadness is coming from the loss I feel for a local family who is saying goodbye to a family member.  He was 35 years old when he got hit by a truck and died.  The family is in mourning and, since I was there to perform the funeral service, I mourn with them.  It is a hard loss.  But I don’t think that is it either.

When these thoughts post, it will be about 2:30 p.m. today.  Today is Good Friday.  With these thoughts, I find myself going back to Good Friday exercises I’ve done in the past.  In my early years, I’ve walked through what the Roman Catholic Church calls “stations of the cross.”  They are a reminder of everything Jesus went through as he walked to his death on the cross. 

I’ve participated in church services.  I’ve walked with wooden crosses outside, usually through the rain, remembering the suffering our Lord went through for us.  Every memory of every Good Friday throughout my life simply leaves me sad. 

Jesus died today.  He had to because of my arrogance, my rebellion, and even my mistakes.  Somebody had to pay the penalty for my sin.  Jesus loved me enough to pay it.  That’s what makes today good.  I created a debt that needed to be paid.  That’s why I feel sad.

Today I thank God for sending His Son.  I will thank Him tonight when we have a service at 7:00pm. 

I look forward to Sunday, though, when we can celebrate life again.  Easter services are at 9:00am and 11:00am.  Hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment