Friday, March 4, 2016

The Invisible Church

I had a professor once who talked about the “Invisible Church.”  He was referring to the Body of Christ, working together under the leading of God, glorifying God and building up the Body.  This Church is invisible, because it isn’t really tied to any organizational structure, denominational theological structure, or power base.  It is simply made up of the people who are a part of Christ’s Body, walking with God and building up the Body.

I guess I was thinking about this “invisible Church” today because I was praying through the connect card prayer requests again from the past three weeks.  I prayed with husbands praying for their wives and wives praying for their husbands.  Children prayed for their parents (and grandparents) while parents were praying for their children (and grandchildren).  Brothers and sisters, both biological and spiritual, prayed for one another.  Neighbors, coworkers, friends and even enemies prayed for one another.  Many people asked for prayers for themselves, too, so that they will walk with God more consistently and/or be a better minister to those around them.

I have a great perspective.  Let me rephrase that.  I have a great vantage point.  I get to see much of the “invisible Church” at work.  I get to read these prayer requests and participate in the ministries through prayer.  I get to sit down and talk with people about ministry, pray for God’s direction with them, coordinate with ministers, pray with shepherds, and even be encouraged with other pastors, church planters, and ministry leaders.  I get to see many, many ministries that others never have the opportunity to see.  I thank God for that blessing.  It is a wonderful sight to see.

Don’t get me wrong.  I see the struggle and pain that brings about the opportunities for ministry.  I see the battles people face and why the battles exist.  I’m just reminded, though, that God is bigger than any of these struggles.  God strengthens and equips us for battle.  And, I get to see people fighting the good fight together with God.  We are the Church – God’s Kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. 

Thank you, God, for letting us see a little bit of the invisible Church.  Thank you, also, for giving us a glimpse of what is to come.  Thank you, God, for this vantage point.  Thank you for this perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment