Friday, March 8, 2013

God's Workers (Part 2)

So after meeting with James Cooper and then enjoying Ministry Monday this week (see previous post), I walked away from the evening with a task on my list: Call Mario Bustos.  I knew that he was coordinating the Homeless Men's Shelter for Valparaiso this year.  We were one of the participating churches last year for the summer session, so I needed to coordinate with him whether or not we are participating this year.  The next day, Tuesday (when the snow storm was ramping up), who should walk through our door but Mario!  It was so good to see him, catch up, and discuss God's Kingdom Work.  The time was a God Sighting for me.


I thought about all the men who were helped last year.  I considered each face, their lives, and how God worked in their lives.  I thought about the workers who participated  week after week and the blessing it was to see God working through His people.  I thought about the parable Jesus shared with us - that helping the homeless will be brought up as a criteria separating the sheep from the goats.

Should we house the homeless this year?  We would be keeping the men overnight from Thursday night until Friday morning through a six-month time period through the summer.  They would receive dinner right down the street at St. Theresa Catholic Student Center.  Then they would come to Life Bridge for sleep and breakfast the next day.

Ways to participate would include:
- Setting up for the men before they get there.
- Greeting the men, welcoming them, and helping them settle in.
- Staying up while their sleeping to ensure their safety/security.
- Greeting them in the morning and serving them breakfast.
- Making/providing the food for breakfast.
- Doing laundry of their bed linens (sheets, pillowcases, and blankets).

Please email me if you have thoughts on our participation and/or are interested in helping.  I would love to see God working in and through us in this way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment