Friday, October 9, 2015

Let Them Grow

This week, I said goodbye to a mentor, coach, and friend.  Bob Sloniger went home to be with the Lord early in the week.  Bob was the man who called me to this ministry at Life Bridge, led me through the startup, and continued working with me for many years.  I wanted to thank all of you who have been praying and sending me messages throughout the week.  I and their family are grateful for your prayers and support.

When I went to the funeral, I got to hear from Bob's son, another preacher/teacher, who shared from his heart about "dad."  "He loved us each individually," he said about all of Bob's children, "the way each one of us needed to be loved.  He taught us how do do everything, too...except how to live without him."  I was touched by the son's love for his father.  Once again, I saw evidence of Bob being a man of God.

Among many other things, I began thinking about my relationship with my own children.  I thought about how different each of the three are as well.  I thought about how much I love them and how I try to love them each individually, too.  I started thinking about whether or not they knew it.  Then I started thinking about the week.


Amanda has been on the phone with me and Traci multiple times this week.  We've been coordinating everything from brakes for her car to a trip she is taking through school to Phoenix, AZ.  The best phone call, though, was the one where she asked if mom and dad were in the room together.  She wanted to tell us that her choreography was chosen for the "Fall Into Dance" show at Anderson University this year.  Her piece is about the tragedy that happened on 9/11: the shock, the hurt, and healing.  She was so excited.  So were we.

Joshua pokes his head in the family room each day to give us updates.  He's going to work or school every day except Sunday when, as many of you know, he spends the day with Life Bridge.  School is going well and he is grateful for his work.  He's been inviting these new friends to church services, Bible studies, and gaming night, depending on where they are in their walk with God.  It struck me this morning, though, as he was checking his bank account for his direct deposit. "I want to know what I got paid this week so I can get my tithe money out for Sunday."  Josh had seen the financial struggles we faced in recent months and wants to be faithful to his part of God's plan.  I just smiled inside.  It may have shown on my face, too.

I helped Rebecca pack her car this morning for a trip to Cincinnati.  She will be displaying (and hopefully selling) some pieces in an art show down there.  She had previously arranged time off work for this show, but now that she has been laid off, she is going to take an extra day or two with family and friends down there.  We were talking about resumes, portfolios, and interviewing while loading ceramics, canvas paintings, and other original works for the show.  She talked about some of the "boxes" she fights off while going through all these changes.  I reminded her not to be anxious, but through prayer and petition to present her requests to God.  I started to say that the peace that surpasses all understanding will fill her mind and her heart when she stopped me.  "Guard," she said.  "I'm sorry?" was my reply.  "Guard your heart," she said.  The Scripture says it will guard your heart and mind.  I smiled.  I also thought to myself, "I've got to go look it up now."  I did. She was right.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV)

A long time ago, when my children were small, it just hit me that I would not be around forever for them.  The statistic is still true that one out of every one person dies.  I wasn't thinking about it to be morbid.  I was thinking about it to set my priorities well.  I made it a priority right then and there to make sure my children knew a Father who would never leave them.  It looks like they do.  

Don't get me wrong, I really have no desire to leave any time soon.  God has placed much more work on my heart.  I expect God wouldn't put it there if God didn't want me to do it.  It's good to see, however, that they know our Father in Heaven and that our Father is helping them in their lives wherever they go.  It makes it much easier for me to let them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment