Friday, August 14, 2015

Celebrating God's Work and Our New Brother and Sister!

Grandmother, Terri Jones with 4 of her
grandchildren, Lili and Luke Maynard (top),
and their 2 cousins.
Picture taken on the occasion of Lili and Luke's
baptisms on Sunday, August 9th, 2015!
On Sunday, I got to share a story of one of our families. Many seem to have been encouraged by the story, so I am including it here hoping to touch others.

I told of a grandmother, Terri, who began bringing her grandchildren to church each week in 2006 and how on her Connect Card, she would ask us to pray for her kids and her grandkids.

We prayed each time and God heard... we loved, and He worked...

In 2008, Terri invited Missi, her daughter and Lili and Luke's mom, to church enticing her with coffee throughout the service.  Missi came.  Missi was an atheist... A strong, intelligent atheist that worked to advance it's cause and to undermine the existence of God.  She returned and jumped in with tech/visuals team, but each week she would remind us by saying, "You know I'm an atheist.  I don't really believe this stuff."


In 2009, Missi accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior.  This past Sunday, August 9th, Missi baptized her two kids, Lili and Luke, while family and friends came out to support them.

What you don't see up front, are all the people who loved on Terri, Missi, and the kids each time they showed up and even when they didn't...  The preschool crafts that hung on the refrigerator, reminding Missi that "God loves you" each day...  The many children's teachers that patiently worked with the kids, showing them love and grace... The Small Group leaders and group members who encouraged and journeyed along with Terri and Missi, ensuring them that they are not alone in the process ...  God was and is at work in powerful ways.

I thank Missi for showing up - at church, at Small Group, and to serve - even as she proclaimed atheism.  I am grateful that she was willing to ask questions and seek answers with an open mind and heart.

Mostly I am thankful for the faithfulness of our God.  It's exciting to look back from where He brings each of us.  It is even more exciting to anticipate what He is going to do in the future through each of us as we leave it all on the field and live for Him!

So what's your story?  Keep showing up... keep seeking!

Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. 
(Philippians 1:3-6 NLT)









No comments:

Post a Comment